Monday, October 29, 2012

Archie Gown - Free Crochet Pattern



Hello again lovely people! Another gown release today, this time one that is more suited for a boy (but could still be girly, or even plain neutral)

The stitch is a simple one, Im not even sure exactly what its called but it creates a beautiful effect when striped.
I named this one the Archie gown. Archie is short for Archibald, and that means Brave. Quite fitting <3

Like the Davida, it doesn't have an actual size, it depends entirely on your yarn and hook size. General rule of thumb 22-24 weeks is made using a 3mm hook and some baby 4ply fingering yarn, DK 8ly yarn and a 4mm hook and will fit around 26-28 weeks.



Archie Gown:

Row 1: Chain 32, DC in 4th chain from hook, Dc in next 2 dc, (1dc, ch, 1dc) in next chain, *dc in next 6 ch, (dc, ch, dc) in next chain. Repeat from * two MORE times. Dc in last 4 chs; ch 2 and turn.

2-4: dc in each dc, (dc, ch1, dc) in each ch1 space from the previous round, ch2, turn

5: Sleeve Row: dc in each st to the first ch1 space, skip all stitches and dc in the next ch1 space. One sleeve made. Repeat to create the second sleeve, dc to the end, ch2, turn.

6: ch3, *dc in the next 3 stitches, 2dc in the next stitch* Repeat across, turn

7 and all remaining rows until desired length: ch1, *sk 1, (sc, dc) in the next stitch together* Repeat across, turn

This creates a sloped small cluster type stitch throughout the gown.
You can change colours whenever you like, and as always, Ill be adding my own to the ravelry page so be sure to check there for ideas on colours and feel free to add your own projects :D

10 comments:

  1. Be-YOu-ti-Ful!!!! Thanks for sharing your talent. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering.... since little boy clothing for premies are so hard to come by, one can find dresses but rarely ever a shirt, couldn't one work the gown with fewer rows and then maybe pair it with the sweet little pants that you created?

    I am only asking/ suggesting because I would like to make sets for both girls and boys to donate. I do not personally have nor know anyone with such a tiny tyke...So am unsure of sizing. I just know being a mother of 5 sons that I'd have liked a shirt for them....

    I'd also appreciate ANY helpful info that could help me create clothing that the parents would appreciate. Sizing etc... I actually have 'googled' it but couldn't find much other than 'it varies'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Ginger,

      I see no problem with making the gown shorter into a shirt. I do have plans for some tops, its just a matter of having the time.

      I was actually chatting with my friend last night about info on prem and angel clothing and decided to put together a sort of FAQ including sizes. I should have it up by the end of the week.

      Delete
    2. I do Mico preemies with your patterns with crochet thread and they are so amazing

      Delete
  3. OH! That would be WONDERFUL! (I can truly relate to Real Life and obligations taking precedence or taking over, lol)

    I have been crocheting for 20+ years- and I have to say that your talent is remarkable! And I envy that truly. I can pretty much crochet anything, but when it comes down to actually making/creating the patterns? I'm all thumbs! So bless you for taking the time to share your talent with all of us.

    I do have a question tho? As I said before I am clue less so not trying to be disrespectful at all... but what is the difference between preemie clothing that is worn by the tiny tyke versus the 'angel' clothing and cocoons? Are they interchangeable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks :)

      Oh no that is actually a pretty common question. Ive covered a lot of it on a post I just wrote here http://mammathatmakes.blogspot.com.au/p/preemie.html

      There are some differences, Ive covered them in that post. If you have any other questions that I forgot to cover, feel free to shoot me an email at myshellecole@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Is this pattern written with US terms or UK terms

    ReplyDelete
  5. i made this for my daughter who i lost 2 weeks ago was perfect for her and worked up prettily

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this pattern. I made it for my daughter's AG doll and used the same pattern to make a shirt and a jacket. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are your gowns worked in the round with a closed back or open? Love your patterns

    ReplyDelete