Sunday, October 21, 2012

Simple Sandals - Free Crochet Pattern




There is only one thing cuter then little baby feet, and that's little baby feet in little baby shoes! Its coming on to warmer weather now here in Aus, and so I thought it would be a great time to work on some baby shoes that are for the warmer weather.

Todays shoes are the Simple Sandal, and when I say simple, boy do I mean simple! They use hardly any yarn and can be whipped up in no time flat, and as a bonus they can be made equally as cute in boy and girl colours!

Simple Sandals: Newborn Size (0-3)
4mm hook
dk (8ply) weight yarn in main and contrasting colours
2 buttons
small needle for sewing on buttons and weaving in ends.

Making the sole: Contrasting colour

1: Chain 10, hdc in the 3rd chain from hook 4 times, hdc in the next 2 chains, dc in the next 4 chains, 6dc in the last chain, DO NOT TURN, working on the opposite side, dc 4 times, hdc twice, join to first hdc, then sl st to the next stitch so the yarn is close to the centre of the heel.

2: ch1, sc twice in the same stitch as the ch, 2sc in the next stitch, sc in the next 10 stitches, 2sc in the next 2 stitches, sc in the next 10 stitches, join to the first sc, then sl st to the next to centre yarn.

3: ch1, 2sc in the same st as the ch, 2sc in the next stitch, sc in the next 9 stitches, 2sc in the next st four times, sc in the next 9 stitches, 2sc in the last 2 stitches, join. End of, do not weave in ends (you will need it as a marker)






LEFT BOOTIE: Main Colour
Count 12 stitches on each side of where you ended off and place markers.

1: With toe pointing towards you, join yarn in the back loop of the marker to the left, ch1, sc in each stitch around, back loops only, join.

2: ch2, hdc in each stitch until you reach the second marker, ch2, TURN

3: hdc in each hdc around, ch2, turn

4: hdc in the next 3 stitches, ch2, turn

5-8: hdc in 3 stitches, ch2, turn

End off and weave in ends.

RIGHT BOOTIE: Main Colour
Count 12 stitches on each side of where you ended off and place markers.

1: With toe pointing towards you, join yarn in the back loop of the marker to the right, ch1, sc in each stitch around, back loops only, join.

2: ch2,turn, hdc in each stitch until you reach the second marker, ch2, TURN

3: hdc in each hdc around, ch2, turn

4: hdc in the next 3 stitches, ch2, turn

5-8: hdc in 3 stitches, ch2, turn

End off and weave in ends.

Join contrasting colour on the corner that will be covered by the strap (makes for a neater finish) and slip stitch around the entire bootie. End off and weave in ends. Sew on buttons, done!


21 comments:

  1. What do you mean by "Join to first hdc" in step 1?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Gosh these are cute aren't they! It says in the pattern they're for newborns, age 0-3 months.

      Delete
  3. I am having problems with the pattern .. On round one I am not ending up with the right amount of stitches to support round two :( any help would be greatly appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many stitches short are you? Its been a while since Ive made a pair but Im sure these ones, you join to the slst and work the first lot of stitches into the same spot as the initial chain.

      Delete
    2. I had the same problem....I've tried it several different ways and still come up one short..

      Delete
  4. Do you happen to have a pattern for larger sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, thank you for this pattern they are so cute. I recently learned how to crochet due to becoming disabled and feeling pretty useless to be honest. Soundz really gloomy but its not i have 3great little boys stil home with me. So I have a question I hope its not silly but would changing the hook size ch ve the shoe size? If I wanted to make a premi baby shoe should I use a 3.00? Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there :)

      There are absolutely no silly questions when it comes to crafting, after all, how else would one learn?
      The answer is yes indeed! Changing the hook size will alter the size of the shoe.
      I have not made them with a 3mm hook yet, but I would expect it to be small enough to fit a bub born a few weeks early, I would guess 4-5 pounds.

      I do have a few other preemie bootie patterns on the blog, you could always make one of them as well for comparison of size.

      There is a chart under the Angel clothing tips tab up the top that will tell you the foot length of most gestational ages.

      Good luck with it, and your crocheting adventure!

      Delete
  6. Brilliant thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fab, just made a pair for my nephew. He's 10 weeks with long feet and they just fit him. Perfect because he was needing some sandals!Love how simple this pattern is. For some reason the way I read it I do the heel round the short end (the toe) but it didn't take me long to figure out and i'm sure it was me mis-reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made one, perfectly. Not sure what happened after that though...I can't even make another sole!! Other than my sudden inability to count, read, or crochet properly, these are adorable and the ONE I managed to make looks great!! Maybe I need a nap?!?! Or a beer...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I'm a beginner at crocheting and there is one part I'm not understanding correctly. On making the sole, there is a part where you say to 2sc in the next st four times. Does that means repeat 2sc for the same st four times or repeat 2sc on the next 4 st? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there :)
      That means you need to do 2 single crochets in each of the next 4 stitches, which will give you a total of 8 sc's. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  10. They look adorable... need to try them 2day.. thank you for the wonderful pattern. Do let me know if we could share a pi of our work with u, if it helps add to your library of projects made with pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are cute i tried them and enjoyed making them .... but these are small could u plz tell me how can i use this pattern to make shoes for size 6-12 months plz thank u

    ReplyDelete
  12. This pattern makes NO SENSE. It's impossible to follow.. End up with wrong number stitches no matter how many times I try them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im really sorry you feel that way, but as you can see above, others have had great success. Perhaps if you gave me some more details I could help you out?

      Delete