Sunday, March 25, 2018

Fluffy Christmas Tree Craft




Way back when I started learning how to crochet, I went yarn shopping. I picked alll the wrong yarns for a beginner! Lots of textured yarns, and chunky yarns, and fluffy yarns. Not the sort of stuff to use when you still haven't mastered the double crochet haha!

I'm a little ashamed to admit that this ball of fluffy yarn has been kicking it in the back of my stash for the past 7 years. Incredible I know! I've been umming and arring for a while now on how to use it, and when I thought about yarn wrapped trees, well it just made sense to make a fluffy one!

Of course you can use any yarn or twine you like! Go wild! This is an easy to do project, and you could easily get the kids in on this one too.

You will need:


1 Styrofoam cone
1 ball of yarn of your choice
Stick on gems
1 small star bead (or star of any type) for the top
Glue

Note: I used 450 clear drying glue by Helmar. You could also use a glue gun, Modge Podge or any other faster drying clear glue. If you use a glue gun, make sure it is a low heat one, or it may melt the Styrofoam.


Add some glue to the base of your cone and attach your yarn to the glue. Start wrapping your cone in the yarn, adding glue as you go to secure the yarn. Keep the strands close together so none of the cone show through. Keep doing this until the entire cone is covered and then leave to dry.

Attach the stick on gems. I actually added some extra glue to these just to make sure they didn't come off.

Glue your star on the top.

See, I told you it was easy! There are so many colour combinations you could try with these. Shake it up and replace yarn for twine. Or use some variegated yarn for a multi-colour tree. No gems? No worries! Use sequins or even beads to add some sparkle. I can't wait to make some more of these. Trees are easily my favourite Christmas decoration.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment